The California Education and the Environment Initiative (EEI) Curriculum is a powerful, state board of education-approved instructional resource that helps educators teach to state standards in science* and history–social science using the environment as context.
We partner with California’s Office of Education and the Environment at CalRecycle by contributing strategic planning, hands-on implementation support, and resources.
In a survey of over 16,000 teachers using the EEI Curriculum in their classrooms:
- 98% reported their students were engaged or very engaged by the Curriculum
- 99% are sure the Curriculum is helping them teach Common Core State Standards in English Language Arts and Literacy
- 97% of teachers who work with English language learners report that the Curriculum effectively served the needs of their students
- 99% plan to continue using the Curriculum in future years
- 99% would recommend the Curriculum to other teachers
By introducing topics of study including local geography and species populations, air, water, and energy, and resource management, the EEI Curriculum is an engaging and effective tool for students to see the relevance of science and engineering to their lives.
*The EEI Curriculum includes 40 science units that were created prior to the adoption of the California Next Generation Science Standards. Although these units were written for California’s 1998 science standards, they contain engaging resources (including visual aids, readings, activities, and maps) that are still relevant and, if thoughtfully integrated, can help support lessons and units of study focused on California’s NGSS. To learn more about how the EEI Curriculum can support the teaching of NGSS, as well as the Common Core State Standards, visit the California EEI Correlation Guides page.