All California students deserve a high-quality education that promotes achievement, health, and wellbeing. Now is the time to seize the unique opportunity to ensure that happens.
Our mission is to strengthen the partnerships and strategies that will bring environmental literacy to all of California’s TK–12 students.
Our vision is a world where everyone understands and experiences the interrelatedness of people and place; where all students have access to high-quality environment-based education; and where all people have the knowledge, awareness, and ability to promote health and wellbeing for themselves, their communities, and the planet.
The conditions are right to achieve environmental literacy for all California students:
- Widespread societal acknowledgment of the importance of protecting our environment
- Calls from youth for action on climate change and environmental justice
- An education policy shift to new academic standards that are rich in process, environmental content, and critical thinking, and give students the tools to succeed
- The recent requirement for instructional materials that connect students to the environment
- An increase in teacher demand for high-quality, effective professional learning based on new standards
- A focus on college and career readiness that promotes STEM disciplines and a green-collar economy
- Statewide agreement of education policy goals among the governor, State Board of Education, State Superintendent of Public Instruction, and California Department of Education
We work with our partners to support a new generation of young people in understanding and caring for the planet we all share.
We foster efforts to infuse environmental themes into core subjects, and empower teachers to use the environment as a context for learning in core subject areas—science, social studies, English language arts, and more.
We work collaboratively to bring California schools, environmental education providers, teachers, parents, and students together to ensure a thriving planet for future generations.