The California Education and the Environment Initiative (EEI) Curriculum is a powerful, state board of education-approved instructional resource that helps educators teach to state standards in science, history–social science, and English language arts using the environment as context.
We partner with California’s Office of Education and the Environment at CalRecycle by contributing strategic planning, hands-on implementation support, and resources.
In a recent survey of over 10,000 teachers using the EEI Curriculum in their classrooms:
- 98% reported their students were engaged or very engaged by the Curriculum
- 99% are sure the Curriculum is helping them teach Common Core State Standards in English Language Arts and Literacy
- 97% of teachers who work with English language learners report that the Curriculum effectively served the needs of their students
- 99% plan to continue using the Curriculum in future years
- 99% would recommend the Curriculum to other teachers
By introducing topics of study including local geography and species populations, air, water, and energy, and resource management, the EEI Curriculum is an engaging and effective tool for students to see the relevance of science and engineering to their lives. The Curriculum provides valuable instructional resources for teachers that, if thoughtfully integrated, can enrich lessons and units of study focused on California’s Next Generation Science Standards.